Skip to main content
All CollectionsGetting Health Insurance
What is Special Enrollment?
What is Special Enrollment?
Jess avatar
Written by Jess
Updated over a week ago

If you want to change or enroll in a new health insurance plan outside of Open Enrollment, you have to qualify for Special Enrollment.

How do you qualify?

You must experience what's called a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), and you generally have 60 days following the event to enroll in a new plan.

Catch can help you file the necessary paperwork to qualify for Special Enrollment and make sure that you also maximize your savings on a new plan.

You qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you’ve had certain life events, including: 

Changes in household

  • Getting married, divorced, or legally separated

  • Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child in foster care

  • Death of a family member on your health insurance plan

Changes in primary residence

  • Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county

  • Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory

  • If you're a student, moving to or from the place you attend school

  • If you're a seasonal worker, moving to or from the place you both live and work

  • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

Note: You must confirm you had qualifying health coverage for one or more days during the 60 days before your move.

Loss of insurance

  • Loss of job-based coverage

  • Loss of individual coverage

  • Losing eligibility for CHIP, Medicaid, or Medicare

  • Losing coverage through a family member

Other changes

  • Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder

  • Becoming newly eligible for Marketplace coverage because you became a U.S. citizen

  • Leaving incarceration

  • Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member

Additionally, you can enroll in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) any time of year, whether you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period or not.

Still have questions?

We're here to help! Email us at if you have questions about whether you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.

Did this answer your question?